In the Life of Allie Muehe...

Thoughts and actions as of February 19th, 2006 mostly regarding my Peace Corps assignment to Uganda. I am leaving for Boston for my staging event (orientation) on March 2, 2006 and leave for Uganda on March 5, 2006.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Not yet a Bugandan

So the other day I had a bit of a reality check when I went to a primary school that I am working with. I went to have a meeting with the headteacher and a few other teachers that are helping to organize and write a grant for an income generating project that I'm doing with them. The gist of the project involves creating a tree nursery and having at least one batch of tree seedlings sold while I'm here. As a form of advertising they want to have a traditional Ugandan ceremony with all local political, religious, and academic leaders come to hear speeches and eat food. Well this ceremony will cost about a quarter of the entire project. Part of the grant includes a required contribution from the school and I try to fudge this requirement as much as possible. Not lie, but there are some things that wouldn't be considered or given much thought as a financial concern because the students can help-like with cleaning or fetching water, etc. These small actions are a contribution, so for this ceremony I asked of the parents of the children could give a little bit of food that they farmed so they wouldn't have to give money. All of the sudden they started laughing and I asked what is so funny. They told me that these people can't feed themselves, the kids eat once a day, etc so there is no way they can give food for this ceremony. I felt so ridiculous, it was like when Marie Antoinette was told her people didn't have enough money to make bread and she replied 'let them eat cake'. Til that point I had actually thought that I had come so far in assimilating into the Ugandan culture. I guess I will learn humility and new things about myself everyday.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You can do no wrong by my book. Don't be so hard on yourself. It takes more than a year to become really assimilated. My dad still doesn't know how to read english well.

March 10, 2007 11:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love your blog! I came across it at random today and have spent the night reading all your entries! My brother was in Uganda last summer with an NGO and I loved hearing his experiences there. So many of your comments and observations mirrored his (no sense of time management, food, culture, etc.) Thank you for the work you do! Even if you touch only a handful of lives, those lives touch others, and so on... (the ripple effect). I look forward to more of your blogs...

March 22, 2007 8:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I sent you a package but didn't know how to notify you directly so I'm leaving this post.
I hope it arrives safely!

April 03, 2007 11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allie-
Just a note to say 'hi' and 'happy easter'.
All is well. My stomach is getting bigger by the day. Pittsburgh was sunny and 80 degrees on Tuesday and now it is snowing again and 30 degrees.
I'm thinking of you and praying that you are well.
Blessings!

April 07, 2007 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home