In the Life of Allie Muehe...

Thoughts and actions as of February 19th, 2006 mostly regarding my Peace Corps assignment to Uganda. I am leaving for Boston for my staging event (orientation) on March 2, 2006 and leave for Uganda on March 5, 2006.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

(-:

I was talking with my mom the other day and I had a few really fun stories/information for her. As I was telling her, I realized that I have definitely reached the point in my service of really enjoying my time here and the country in general. Of course I still have my issues with the Ugandan culture and people’s actions, but I think I have come to the point where I am used to them and they don’t frustrate me as much. One of the things I told my mom was that I experienced an earthquake here. I think it’s great! I have always wanted to experience one, not one that is life threatening, but just to get the feeling of such a powerful natural phenomenon. Unfortunately it happened in the middle of the night and I was dead asleep so I barely woke up, feeling the vibrations and thinking I was hearing my dishes rattle. When I woke up the next morning I thought it was a dream but when I talked to my neighbor she asked me if I had felt it and I got so excited that I didn’t dream it but actually felt it. I hope I’m not being insensitive to earthquake disaster survivors, but I thought it was really fun.

Another positive experience I shared with my mom the other morning when I was helped by my new friends-a couple of 3 year olds. The teachers at my school helped me find a female rabbit from a student to join my male rabbit. They also asked the students if they could bring in a tree branch so I can extend the house where my rabbits live. The students brought the tree branches to the edge of the school grounds where the teacher housing begins so I had to bring them to the current rabbit house (which happens to be inside my goat house). These poles are small in diameter, most are around 3-5 inches, but they are very long, anywhere from 10-20 feet. Well I carried about 8 or so to the rabbit/goat house and my two new friends came running from their homes to help me transport these poles. The boy and girl toddlers are kids of teachers and live in the next door block of houses. They were completely adorable trying to take one or two of the smaller poles and drag them to the rabbit/goat house. Maybe they are just bored and help me as something to do, but I was really touched by their wanting to do manual labor for me.
There are other good things that happen everyday….finally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home