In the Life of Allie Muehe...

Thoughts and actions as of February 19th, 2006 mostly regarding my Peace Corps assignment to Uganda. I am leaving for Boston for my staging event (orientation) on March 2, 2006 and leave for Uganda on March 5, 2006.

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Workshop

Last week I returned home from a workshop that lasted almost 2 weeks at a teacher's college in Iganga. It was a refresher course for all CCTs (coordinating center tutor, like a education monitor and developer for the village schools in a county) that any PCVs associated with the college had to go to in order to 'fully understand the job of the CCT.' This kinda makes sense seeing how we work hand in hand with the CCT and our official job is to work with them to improve the education system here. However, the workshop was one part of a course that they will receive a certificate of merit for and we are just there to give ideas and network. I had a good time overall because I was able to meet and get to know some of the new volunteers that just swore in a few weeks ago. The workshop was a bit of a burden for them because the first few months are meant for setting up your house and getting to know your community. They had basically arrived at their site then had to leave within a day or two. Most don't have any furniture, food, or basic necessities and haven't unpacked. It was kinda strange for me at the workshop because I went to a workshop there last year for thematic curriculum training and I was the only PCV there. At first it was frustrating and I really wished there were other volunteers there, but after a while I got to know other tutors and it was nice being the center of positive attention. At this past workshop there were about 6 volunteers there and I tried to talk with the other tutors but found myself hanging out mostly with the PCVs. I don't really like that because I feel integration is necessary and I find it ridiculous when minority groups segregate themselves, but many times it was just so much more convenient because I could speak with my normal speed, use slang, reference America, and say things that people can actually understand and/or relate to. I ended up trying to compromise and hang out with the tutors and bringing one or two of the PCVs with me and during breaks talking with the tutors. Anyways, other exciting things that occurred at the workshop: seeing hail in Uganda, within 3 minutes falling and scraping my knee then being hit by a horned cow on the way home, and getting my watch stolen because of an unbeknown broken window. Overall I had a great time and and it's just one more of my many experiences as a PCV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home