In the Life of Allie Muehe...

Thoughts and actions as of February 19th, 2006 mostly regarding my Peace Corps assignment to Uganda. I am leaving for Boston for my staging event (orientation) on March 2, 2006 and leave for Uganda on March 5, 2006.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Face Rash

So the only really exciting thing to happen recently is that I have somehow gotten a face rash. The Peace Corps nurse told me it sounded like it came from some kind of beetle. However, the beetle looks more like an ant…? Apparently, when you squash the beetle there is a toxin it emits that you don’t notice and if you touch any part of your skin, the rash will spread. Not to describe it in detail, but I have a couple lines across my face that resembles very small clusters of blisters. It sounds rather awful, but it’s not that bad, as in Ugandans haven’t said anything to me. Although a face rash in America would make people notice and maybe stare, most people wouldn’t say anything because it’s rude. Ugandans are ridiculously blunt when it comes to physical appearance. So unless I point it out to people, they think it’s acne or something. And I have had it for about 2-3 days now so it’s healing. The first few days I hid in my house but even then, my neighbors said they didn’t notice right away. Anyways…so that is the most exciting thing that has happened lately.

In other news, my kitten is awesome. I have officially named her Ferrari-strange, I know, unless you know I named my other cat Carrera and I’m trying to stick with the expensive European automobiles that are difficult to pronounce. She is just getting used to my house and has ventured outside a couple times. The neighborhood kids scare her as much as she scares them (yes, Ugandans are scared of sweet little kittens). Work wise, the term is about to start so here comes academic workshops and meetings. I'm also slowely getting things done with my thesis again. I have finished one grant for a tree nursery project that won't get funding til October or so and I am just beginning another one that hopefully will get funding in August. That's it, I'll keep you updated...

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Hi Allie,

I found your blog via a PC chat group. I'm headed out to Uganda in August and was hoping you'd help me out with some questions I had. My e-mail is Yangsome@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Jen

May 25, 2007 10:47 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Hi Allie,

I found your blog via a PC chat group. I'm headed out to Uganda in August and was hoping you'd help me out with some questions I had. My e-mail is Yangsome@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Jen

May 25, 2007 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home