In the Life of Allie Muehe...

Thoughts and actions as of February 19th, 2006 mostly regarding my Peace Corps assignment to Uganda. I am leaving for Boston for my staging event (orientation) on March 2, 2006 and leave for Uganda on March 5, 2006.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

My Tentative Job Description

Hey Everyone!
So I have been at site for a week. From training, I am supossed to be holding teacher improvement workshops, monitoring and imporoving primary schools and the headteacher (principals) and other teachers who work there. As of now, I am scheduled to teach to the school that I live near (I live within their teacher housing) and some surrounding schools about composting and how to manage waste. In June I am also spending a week helping my counterpart conduct training sessions on PIASCY (President Musevni's movement for teaching of healthy living, pretty much just about AIDS). I am also hoping to help with starting tree nurseries in a couple of the surrounding schools. My counterpart and I met with the district education officer and the district environmental officer. Both meetings went well. The district education officer wants to focus on the national movement towards integrating children with mental and physical disabilities into the classroom and would like me to help the teachers figure out how to make learning and teaching aids specifically for the handicapped students from locally availible resources. Coincidentally enough, the district education officer did a foreign exchange program in 1968-69 in Phelps, a school about 35 minutes from where I grew up! After I got over that shock, my counterpart and I visited the environmental officer to decide with him to start the nurseries at the school and teach the school how to get seeds from trees, nurture the seedlings, and grow trees to complete the tree life cycle. Anyways, so luckily I will be pretty busy in the next few months. I will let you know how it goes!

PS thanks to those who have sent me emails and letters! I miss you! And for those who have lost it, my current address:

Allison Muehe, PCV
C/O Peace Corps
PO BOX 29348
Kampala, Uganda

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess what Allie I signed up to donate to the "save the children" specifically to the region of Africa for AIds education!!! I feel i'm supporting your cause!!!

Oh and guess what, I was watching Bas Rutten's (Ex Pancrease and UFC champ) self defense video and his opening line was, "we've all seen desperate housewifes..." and I thought what an odd show for him to watch but it goes to prove even the baddest of brutes have soft side.....I've found a kindred spirit.

ANyways I miss you very very much.

mark

May 27, 2006 11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allie I tore my meniscus but i don't think its bad and it should heal on its own but I need to double check and also my friend Wade on the Bingo swim team came out with his family and I took him to see DJ Tiesto in a huge club called Ruby skye which was next to my Post Street Lecture hall and also my mom is visiting the area and I'm gonna take a train to San Jose to see her. I had very weird day.

May 28, 2006 3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

guess what? I checked my new mail box in my new apartment and its filled with old subscriptions to cosmo and marie claire for the old tenant. Guess whose gonna get touch with senstive side while he recovers from his knee injury? hehehe. I'm a dork.

May 28, 2006 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI BUDDY!! I MISS YOU (plat):) I sent you a package,.... I hope you got it!

So my coworker saw the name "dirtbag" on the screen on my phone. HAHA. Now im known at the office as dirtbag. hahaha.

Love ya plat,
Carla aka dirtbag

May 31, 2006 2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, it was good talking to you! I will give you a call when I find out about the zest thing...in fact, I might call you before you even read this, since you don't get to the internet all that often. in any case, we talk soon. :o)

June 11, 2006 5:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there!
Hope you reached well....
Greetings from all ur friends: H/M Kangulumira R/c and many others.
All the best
Kiggundu Vincent (Chairman SMC Kangulumira R/C) vkiggundu@hotmail.com

May 27, 2008 3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home