In the Life of Allie Muehe...

Thoughts and actions as of February 19th, 2006 mostly regarding my Peace Corps assignment to Uganda. I am leaving for Boston for my staging event (orientation) on March 2, 2006 and leave for Uganda on March 5, 2006.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Giardia and the Police

haha, ok, so this is going to be an out of order posting, but whatever. Anyways, so this past week I got Giardia, which I won't get into the gross details but it's a parasite that is in your stomach and it just give you realy bad gas and bathroom trips. Even though it sometimes goes away on it's own I had really bad cramps and broke down and took the medication this past Wednesday night. It takes 48 hours to work and Thursday night was super aweful, moreso because I am not allowed to use the pit latrine at night for security reasons. So yes, I'm back to the good old days of using chamber pots and I filled mine and had to use another one. I left it right outside my room and it was the middle of the night so I decided to not wake up my family (there are no ceilings, just walls so you can hear everything all the time) and just use my watch indiglo to reach my door and reach outside. Hoping to be quiet and quick, I just opened my door, it creaked of course, I did my business and got into bed. Before 7 am I hear strange men's voices in the house (yes, you really can hear everything) and then I hear my homestay mom calling me and asking me if I'm sick. And if you have never been around me when I'm sick I'm a bit cranky. I answered her yes and she ordered me out of my room. In the PC they are very strict about American's sense of personal privacy and since there is none in Uganda, our room is our only haven of rememberence of home. So, I was like, what? get out of my room, I'm sick, I don't want to move and my room is stinky, just...no. But she yelled that men have to go in my room and I have to get out. I had no idea what was going on, so I got dressed and emerged from my room to find two policemen. I greeted them in the nice ugandan way and asked what was going on. One of the policemen informed me that it was reported that someone was trying to break into my room at night. I assured him that being sick I was up ALL night and that there was no one trying to break in. My homestay mom and sister rushed in my room with flashlights and started looking in corners and everything, I'm like, what is going on here. Then they told me that they heard someone opening my door last night and they thought it was an intruder so they sat outside my door all night long waiting for him to come out. I was like "IT WAS ME", and the best part was, when I asked why they didn't ask me during the night what was going on, they said that they did not want to disturb me because I was sick.

This country is amazing.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You poor thing!!!

But honestly, that's a hilarious story...

May 02, 2006 4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Allie. Police are just as useless in San Francisco but not as nice.

May 03, 2006 3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Allie....Andy J. here. Sorry you got the bug. It was bound to happen. I hope all of you are doing okay over there. I had to get out. You understand. That is a funny funny story. I cant wait to read you guy'es blogs. I look for them every monday-tuesday.
Hope your better. Tell everone I said hi.

May 03, 2006 4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHA of course something like that would happen to you!!! I'm glad that your okay, and everything worked out! Keep that smile on your face and remember its all an experiece!!!! LOVE YOU!!!!!

May 03, 2006 4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Allie,

I'm glad you're doing better. Although your story did make my day :) The good news is that one was trying to break in :):)
ahhaha

May 04, 2006 8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home