In the Life of Allie Muehe...

Thoughts and actions as of February 19th, 2006 mostly regarding my Peace Corps assignment to Uganda. I am leaving for Boston for my staging event (orientation) on March 2, 2006 and leave for Uganda on March 5, 2006.

Friday, May 05, 2006

My New Site!

Hey guys! I'm here in Jinja for my future site visit and they have internet (yay!) I don't actually live in Jinja, I live about a 40 minute taxi ride in a village called Kangulumira. First impression: work and environment are awesome, my house is ridiculously unfortunate. It was really fun, I walked for about 50 minutes and I reached the nile river and saw one of the most amazing views I have ever seen. Although I cannot go in the water because I will get sick from the bacteria in it, it is still really nice to be close by and apparently the falls that I can see are the last stop of the famous nile rafting that begins in Jinga. (Side note: many of the PCTs are planning on going rafting in June, you supposedly think you are going to die and they are class V rapids or something, but I'm SUPER excited to go) Anyways, the teacher's college that I am associated with is in Kampala which is awesome because it's right in the middle of the city, but it's also an hour and a half taxi ride away from my site. As usual, every great thing about my site has a catch to it and I suppose everyone's place is like that so I feel like in some ways I'm lucky but in other ways I got the short end of the stick. So, I will hopefully be able to keep up the postings every few weeks!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allie, I miss your little guts. I can't believe mike beat me at sending you something. However, keep your eyes pealed because I there should be something coming at some point in time however, I never know how long it will take to get there. I miss you like "WHOA" Thank you so much for my birthday card, I was thinking of you and wishing you were around. You, in the past always had such creative ideas and gifts. I missed your snickers cookies!!! However, most of all I miss you being around. I hope you are doing okay. I have kept in contact with your parents quite often and I will see matt this up-coming weekend because believe or not Jackie IS in fact marrying Jim Davern WAAAAAHOOOOOOOOO. Anyway, Talk to you real soon. I am soooo sad I missed your phone call.

Love you.
MEGGGGG

May 17, 2006 11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Muehe,
I was just realising that it's been a year since our trip to Hotlanta - I still have the scars!Hope everything is going well for you and you aren't darker than me yet! (i know that it is inevitable) Do you get to play any soccer? What is your job like on a daily basis? How's the food? I'm not sure where to send stuff - can you post your address? Are you missing Steak and Shake as much as me?!
Ciao chica,
Ericka

May 26, 2006 3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home