In the Life of Allie Muehe...

Thoughts and actions as of February 19th, 2006 mostly regarding my Peace Corps assignment to Uganda. I am leaving for Boston for my staging event (orientation) on March 2, 2006 and leave for Uganda on March 5, 2006.

Monday, September 03, 2007

Blaids


So one time last year I was walking through Jinja and I saw a sign outside of a beauty parlor that had descriptions some of their services, like weaving, coloring, cutting.... and blaiding. I thought it was hilarious but I understood their mistake because in the Luganda language and l and r sound the same and are used in spelling according to the vowel proceeding it. I have been thinking about b(l)raiding my hair the whole time I have been here and last week finally sat down and got it done. It took almost 4 hours and they didn't really know what to do because with my 'white person's hair' it makes braiding much more difficult. I thought they were a bit more experienced than others but they didn't know I needed rubber bands to hold the braids.... oh well, one more fun experience in Uganda!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home