In the Life of Allie Muehe...

Thoughts and actions as of February 19th, 2006 mostly regarding my Peace Corps assignment to Uganda. I am leaving for Boston for my staging event (orientation) on March 2, 2006 and leave for Uganda on March 5, 2006.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Packages

I have just received a package from an amazing women and family from Minnesota. The Schulte family learned about my Peace Corps service by finding my blog while searching for people with relevance to Uganda. I want to make a public thank you because it was the sweetest thing to receive any kind of physical proof that people are acknowledging and appreciating my life in Uganda. Although I don’t need or deserve any kind of gratitude for living here or being in Peace Corps, it is nice to know that people are thinking of me, even people I have never met. This is the second package I have received from a family that I have never met and it makes me feel wonderful that there are people in the US that care enough to take time to pick things out, package and send them. Even knowing that random families just might be talking about ‘this girl’ who is volunteering in Uganda, which might spur a conversation about service work, East Africa, Peace Corps, etc. is awesome. It’s things like this that help me keep going here, so thank you Schulte family!


On a similar note, my friend Meggie sent me a package in June of 2006 and I finally got it! It took it over a year to get here! I really don't understand why this happened because I have received things from America within 2 months and there was nothing wrong with the packaging. Either way, I was very happy to have gotten it and although some of the candy had to be discarded (I shed a tear for every chocolate morsel) it's the thought that counts.

While talking about packages, my mom has been continually heeding to my ridiculous whims and sending me candy, toenail polish, fast food toys (my little neighbor kids LOVE them), local newspaper clippings, etc. Both of my parents have been wonderful and supportive, no matter how much I complain (-:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad you received the package!

The Schulte Family

August 14, 2007 10:10 AM  
Blogger JK said...

Hi Allie, I've enjoyed reading your blog. My sister (Karen of the Schulte family - and yes, indeed an amazing woman!) told me about your blog several months ago, and it has been interesting and rewarding to read a fellow African traveler's experiences and perspectives. In 2005 I spent 3 months doing a community development internship in Bududa, a small village southeast of Mbale, so it's been cool to read about your adventures in eastern Uganda - it seems that many of your experiences, frustrations, and insights largely mirror my own, based on my own experiences, including the frustration with being called a "mzungu". I wish you the best of luck, both in your remaining time in Uganda, and in life after Uganda.

Joe

August 19, 2007 10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home