In the Life of Allie Muehe...

Thoughts and actions as of February 19th, 2006 mostly regarding my Peace Corps assignment to Uganda. I am leaving for Boston for my staging event (orientation) on March 2, 2006 and leave for Uganda on March 5, 2006.

Monday, July 23, 2007

Meetings

Oh, so many meetings....

Every term we have headteacher meetings to organize them, remind them of responsibilities, plan activities, and schedule workshops. These are usually well attended, like 65-75% of headteachers come. Yes, this is well attended. Like workshops, these meetings are not attended punctually, usually we start over an hour later than planned. I am so used to this system that if the meeting is at my school I will check in but not actually stay in the meeting room until an hour later than planned because I know I will be reading my book or twiddling my thumbs until more head teachers arrive. There are termly meetings at the district level for all of the headteachers that the Ministry of Education hold that are similar to the meetings we hold but on a larger scale. We are actually not always informed about these meetings although they like and expect us there. To tell you the truth, I feel they are a waste of time because they don't really involve us and because of the traveling to the district headquarters and waiting for the teachers to arrive, it takes all day with little that comes from it.

Other meetings I have are monthly with the the other CCTs in Kayunga district(coordinating center tutors, like each zone in the district has a CCT). These are nice because it keeps the CCTs in check and we report to the other CCTs what we are doing and we are able to coordinate activities that are district wide. I have the same type of monthly organizational meetings with Shimoni Teacher's college. Those are nice because we meet in Kampala and the college principal and deputy principal of outreach (my technical boss) give us updates on our students (teachers who are working towards their teaching certificate while teaching in the village schools). We also get to talk with other CCTs from other districts.

I also have termly meetings with the teachers in charge of environmental activities at the primary schools in my zone. I have been trying to encourage these activities at the primary level and like to monitor these teachers. Also, we have an environmental competition at the end of the year that I like to remind them about. Sometimes I do a small lecture about things like composting and waste management.

So many meetings.... talk talk talk.....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Allie-
Thank you for the 'rattles' and drums. I will have fun banging away for many years to come! My mom says she will send more pictures soon.
Much love,
Caleb Shirk :)

August 01, 2007 8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home