In the Life of Allie Muehe...

Thoughts and actions as of February 19th, 2006 mostly regarding my Peace Corps assignment to Uganda. I am leaving for Boston for my staging event (orientation) on March 2, 2006 and leave for Uganda on March 5, 2006.

Saturday, August 18, 2007

More School Photos...

The other day I went to a school to conduct a workshop on the generic teaching method (basically child-centered teaching methods to get away from the writing notes on the board and having children read and repeat the notes on the board so they can memorize the words and not actually learn the material). This is an example of when it rains here it pours. As you can see on the other buildings, we have iron roofs but no ceilings so when it even sprinkles it sounds like elephants coming. Needless to say with this downpour we had to suspend our seminar. This happens all the time and it usually only lasts at most and hour. There are major floods then it goes back to dry dirt in a matter of hours.
This next photo is at a 'science' fair that I attended at one of my schools (even gave a 10 minute speech in luganda!). The school had each grade have a couple 'exhibits', like the one seen in the photo, that describes something related to science or health. Younger kids did things like proper nutrition with a variety of foods or personal hygiene. The older kids did things like distillation, agricultural practices, uses for plastic bags, and here they are showing people how to make beads out of paper (some people have seen them because they sold in some catalogs that are aimed to help people in third world countries). The woman on the right is my CCT (coordinating center tutor), or my counterpart who I work with on a daily basis. She's great!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home