In the Life of Allie Muehe...

Thoughts and actions as of February 19th, 2006 mostly regarding my Peace Corps assignment to Uganda. I am leaving for Boston for my staging event (orientation) on March 2, 2006 and leave for Uganda on March 5, 2006.

Friday, August 11, 2006

Goat!

I bought a pregnant goat yesterday!!! I had a little lean-to built in my ‘backyard’ make with branches and papayas shoots to protect it at night from rain and wind. People here don’t really have ‘pets’ so all of the other goats are tied up along roads and places to feed on grass during the day then taken home at night. So other than vegetable peelings, I will probably just let it feed on grass unless I think it’s getting sick. I want to treat it like a pet, like the first thing I wanted to do was touch it’s head and pet it’s back and it ran away in fear. I mean I know I’m the only white person in 100 km (literally) but can goats really tell the difference between races of people? Anyways, but it was also scared of me because there aren’t exactly animal cruelty laws here, so probably in the past when a human came towards it the purpose was for movement or beating so no wonder it’s scared of me. I’m not sure when she will give birth but I’m so excited to see a farm animal give birth—I have never seen it before! (yes yes, even though I grew up in upstate New York, I still have never seen a farm animal give birth!) I think baby goats are so cute so I’m so excited to have one as a pet. If anyone has suggestions for names I am all ears.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey allie! haha...kelley and i were reading your posts and i thought i'd say hi...this one about the pregnant goat made us laugh :) definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience as is everything else you've been writing about. hope everything is going well! joy

September 04, 2006 8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home