In the Life of Allie Muehe...

Thoughts and actions as of February 19th, 2006 mostly regarding my Peace Corps assignment to Uganda. I am leaving for Boston for my staging event (orientation) on March 2, 2006 and leave for Uganda on March 5, 2006.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Ants

Ok, I’m at war with the ants here. They are the tiny ones that show up in the gazillions. I don’t know where they come from or how they get in. Well actually I do know how they get in, the house isn’t exactly sealed well but I don’t see them coming in the conventional way like under the doors or windows but I think they bore holes through my concrete walls. These ants are ridiculous; they come in droves and will overtake anything. I have eventually come to appreciate them, to a point, because once I saw a piece of popcorn (yes, well a type of popcorn because they grow a species of corn here that has a kernel like quality that they make popcorn out of) that dropped on the floor and that night I saw ants had almost completely taken it away in a couple hours. It was amazing, so I at least I know that if any type of food or dead insect or animal is somewhere that I do not know or can reach that it will not rot or mildew because the ants will take care of it. But I hope that I will keep my house in order enough so that I will not need the ants’ help. The biggest problem I have with them is that they love to get into my food and unless I have everything in Tupperware I cannot keep them out. I even had a fully packaged block of cheese that I kept on the floor (yes, the floor because a concrete floor is surprisingly cool and I was going to cook the cheese that night) and the ants ate a hole in the plastic to get to a small section of the cheese. Again, these ants are ridiculous. When I remove all of the ants from a piece of food, like loaf of bread, I think ‘ha, I won this battle.’ Unfortunately, I have a feeling I will lose the war and just have to accept a co-habitual living situation. As long as they stay in designated areas then I can deal.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They don't bite you right? Fire ants are soo evil. Can you fumigate them? Well I sent you some goodies so keep it hidden from them if you can. I suppose the mma fighting i showed you is useless against ants but its great against ministers ^_~. Hows the DVD player software working out for you? Anyways, take care Allie. Mark

August 16, 2006 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah and my school started showing greys anatomy even though it has nothing to do with visual effects of 3d animation but i saw the first season and its really good. Its very cleaver, whitty and cute. I wish i got into it earlier. Do you already own the dvds because I can get them cheap because I do part time work at at a record and dvd store. I'm gonna try to pick some up the next package i send and i try to do express because they say it can get to Uganda in in like 3 days. So I hear Uganda has no speed limit? When you get a chance to drive i'm sure thats fun right? I know you probably don't get to drive often but just think at home your insurance premiums will have a serious break and your driving record will be totally awesome when you get back. Speaking of which, my parents sold my car. We'll get a chance to chat sometime. Bye Allie!!

August 16, 2006 7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ants are crappy!!! Bobby and I have mice trying to live with us right now, and the battle is on!!!

Let me know when you recieved my letter....I tried calling you and it didn't go through...any suggestions????

Love you and miss you! LEAH :)

August 17, 2006 9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Allie,

I was at my Aunt's last weekend and she said that you have been struggling lately. My sister's old roommate, Ann, is also in Africa helping people. Read her blog entry from Monday, August 14th. (http://onelifeinafrica.blogspot.com) I think she is feeling exactly the same way you are. I miss you.

Love,
Molly

August 19, 2006 12:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i won my first advanced level submission fighting tournement!!! i wish you could have been there. I even had an exibition fight with a pro. I was winning 4-0 when i got tapped by triangle. Anyways I thought of you becuase you'd normally be the first person I'd call and I didnt' know who to tell. Well I'm going to work so I'll try to explain more later. Miss you Allie!

August 20, 2006 12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Al-

If I were you I had train the ants to become my own personal minons and make them do my bidding. Time and patience, Allie, that's all it will take and those ants will do whatever you say...

Anyway, I just wanted to check in; it's been awhile (my summer has been insane with teacher training and moving to Baltimore...) It was so good to see so many new posting from you (I swear when I'm reading I hear your voice saying the words in my head) and get to catch up on what's been going on with you.

I'll write you an official letter as soon as I get some sufficient time (also: any chance that we could start a pen pal program between the kids you know in your village and my upcoming 7th grade english students? I think it would be so cool); until then, Queen Bee, I miss you and hope you're doing better every day.

D-O-Dubs

August 20, 2006 11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home